At it's most basic description PHP is a programming language that can be embedded into html.
That's boring and just barely the tip of the iceberg! You can use PHP to do any type of server-side scripting to generate a dynamic web page - calculations, database connectivity, cookies, create images and pdfs, read and write files on the local server or even a remote server.
Gluckstein & Associates LLP
BBS Real Estate Brokerage
Oh this site was fun! They originally wanted to keep updating their data on a 3rd party site (why?) so I had to write php script that would parse through the html generated search results to get all the property info. My script also had to save the info in Expression Engine preserving things like categories and relationships. It wasn't easy but I won in the end.
Dentist Job Board
Functionality included user logins, custom saved searches and admin stats (number of users, number of job posts, etc).
Air Conveyance Systems
Modified the default cms photo album to use Lightbox JS v2.0.
Elysium Body Boutique
A quick little WordPress site taking full advantage of pages and different templates. Also integrated an image gallery
The Book Band
You won't be able to view this page because the iContact.com trial membership only works for 15 days. You'll have to trust that I used the the supplied php 5 toolkit to communicate with the iContact api to retrieve the xml results and then gathered and displayed the data using commands from php DOM and DOMXPath.
Jump Rope reskin
- php code to upload file and save form info to the database
- modified core Zen Cart functionality to add US price and US tax code fields
- modified CanPar shipping module to look up prices on different server is user was using US prices
- modified core Zen Cart functionality to calculate product taxes the same as the client's accounting software
- duplicated the Moneris payment module for US payments
Youth Employment Services
I wrote some custom php forms to collect data (Sign in, Register) that were later dropped into the wordpress templates by another developer
Homes by DeSantis
- general maintenance including updating content
- creating sub sites for new development communities